Asbjørn Bear God Honey

Rural honey created from wildflowers and backyard gardens. 

Weekly Update

10-Apr-2018

It’s been below zero for the past few days so we haven’t been able to replace the frames that made way for the package off bees.

Today the frames were replaced and the comb that the bees formed in the empty space was broken out. Eggs were found in each of the hives.

Bees are still eating honey, next week bee feed will be added to the hives. There are still some days in the next week that will be below zero.

Posted 50 weeks ago
<p>5-Apr-2018</p>

<p>Today our bees were picked up from Charlie Newton.  The bees from the 3lb. were introduced to the hives and one entrance left open (only one bee in/out at a time) to allow the stragglers from the package to enter the hive.</p>

<p>The temperature is low, nightly lows are in the teens.  Each hive was provided with, a full frame of honey and a full pollen pattie.  12 gallons of bee feed was made and is on hand to start supplementing tomorrow.</p>

New stands were made that stand a foot above the ground and anchored in the soil about a foot.

5-Apr-2018

Today our bees were picked up from Charlie Newton. The bees from the 3lb. were introduced to the hives and one entrance left open (only one bee in/out at a time) to allow the stragglers from the package to enter the hive.

The temperature is low, nightly lows are in the teens. Each hive was provided with, a full frame of honey and a full pollen pattie. 12 gallons of bee feed was made and is on hand to start supplementing tomorrow.

New stands were made that stand a foot above the ground and anchored in the soil about a foot.
Posted 50 weeks ago

Bee Class

19-Jan-2018

I am teaching a basic backyard beekeeping class in April.  The course covers Bee Biology, Hive maintenance, and Pests.  The main source for the material is, “The Hive and the Honeybee” 2015 ed.

Posted 61 weeks ago

Expansion

19-Jan-2018

Our little bee yard is expanding to 3 hives, the previous Medu (Slovene) hive is being resurrected and two new hives are being added, Mel (Latin) and Medlin (Elvish).  All hives are Apimaye Thermo Langstroth Hives.  Three 3lb packages have been ordered from Newton’s Own Hive & Honeybee Products.  The colonies are planned to start in April.

Posted 61 weeks ago

Medu Update

13-Nov-2017

Medu Bees were no longer taking the 2:1 syrup because it was below 50° for the past couple of weeks. We switched to candy instead and while switching food sources we noticed the colony only had a few thousand bees left. We checked the hive yesterday and found that all of the bees were dead and they looked like they died while performing there tasks, helping new bees out of the cells, feeding, etc… Many bees were found in the hive entrance and most in the bottom board. It looks like dysentery, but not nosema.

The hive was dismantled and the comb was cut out and the frames and body were cleaned. We expect that it was the changing food source that caused the dysentery, but we are not positive what killed the colony.

Posted 71 weeks ago

Bees Preparing for Fall

The undertaker Bees are working full tilt cleaning out dead and dying Bees. There are also drones being surrounding the entrance.

Posted 79 weeks ago

Social “Bees”

We attended a talk given by the Iowa Honey Queen and networked with local beekeepers.



We plan on attending the annual Iowa Honey Producers Association 2-day conference, to network and further learn the tricks of the trade.

Posted 81 weeks ago

Wintering Preparation Started

Over the past couple of weeks we extracted 5 frames and removed empty frames so we could remove Medu-Super 3 from the hive. The very dry summer had taken its toll on flower production and so we aren’t expecting any late up swing in honey.

Posted 81 weeks ago
<p>In preparation of adding another hive next year, we named and labeled the current hive, Medu.  Medu is Slovene for honey.  </p>

<p>The first honey we harvested last month was two frames out of Super 3.  On Friday we extracted two more frames out of Super 3.  Total we harvested ~1.5 gallons.</p>

In preparation of adding another hive next year, we named and labeled the current hive, Medu. Medu is Slovene for honey.

The first honey we harvested last month was two frames out of Super 3. On Friday we extracted two more frames out of Super 3. Total we harvested ~1.5 gallons.

Posted 85 weeks ago
<p>This is the first bottle of honey harvested from our first hive.</p>

This is the first bottle of honey harvested from our first hive.

Posted 87 weeks ago